There are various types of Congenital Heart defects. Broadly divided into Cyanotic and Acyanotic Heart Disease and are present at birth.
These can be shunts at the Atrial level, ventricular level and great arterial level.
Common Congenital Heart Defects:
- Atrial Septal Defects
- Ventricular Septal Defects
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus
- Transposition of Great vessels etc.
Timing of Repair:
- ASD – Can wait upto 5 yrs of age
- VSD – 6 months-1 year has to be operated
- PDA – can wait upto 2-3 years
- ToF – After 1 year it has to be corrected
- TGA – Immediate correction
- TAPVCS – Immediate correction
Normal duration of hospital stay after surgery – 7-10 days
Post-operative evaluation by 2D echo cardiography
Safe surgery if done with precautions.